Pesquisar neste blogue

30 de novembro de 2006

Michelle (outra vez) nos "Headlines" dos jornais II

Aiming for bigger prize
After winning Girls 16s last year, 13-year-old takes step up

RYAN T. BOYD
Herald Staff Writer


BRADENTON - She could be heard grunting from a few tennis courts away.
That's the way Michelle Larcher de Brito says she gains her strength and rhythm throughout the course of a tennis match.
"When I don't grunt it's usually when I play the worse," said the 13-year-old from Portugal. "My friends and coach tell me that's when I play my best tennis."
Larcher de Brito needed every bit of "umph" she had in her to get past Jade Curtis 6-7 (5), 6-2, 6-2 on Wednesday in the second round of the Girls 18s Division of the Eddie Herr International at IMG Academies.
After falling behind early, Larcher de Brito gathered herself to outplay the 16-year-old Curtis the rest of the way.
Curtis' strong serve and ability to hit good ground stokes gave Larcher de Brito problems in the beginning.
"I saw her play in other matches, and I knew it wouldn't be easy," said Larcher de Brito, who trains at the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy. "I just tried to stay calm and go for good shots."
After winning the Girls 16s Division of the Eddie Herr last year, Larcher de Brito decided to jump to a higher age bracket this year.
With the leap came nervousness about competing against bigger, stronger opponents - something she showed during her match Wednesday.
"I think she was a little tight," said Larcher de Brito's father, Antonio. "This is where you start learning to deal with pressure, and this is important for her later. I had the confidence that she would pull it out."
Larcher de Brito will take on Jasmina Tinjic of Croatia today in the round of 16. The match is scheduled to start at 9:30 a.m.
Last month, Larcher de Brito won the Girls 18s Division of the Jerry Simmons in South Carolina, and Curtis knew if she made too many mistakes she wouldn't be victorious. Her mistakes mounted.
"I didn't acquire enough depth, and she was always getting me cross-court on the forehand," said Curtis, who is from Plymouth, Great Britain, and trains in Boca Raton, "and then able to penetrate down the line because my shots weren't deep enough. If I had been more aggressive on my forehand then maybe (the outcome) would have changed."
Staying confident in her abilities is what Larcher de Brito credits with getting her into the round of 16.
"I don't give up," she said. "I don't worry about the points or the outcome, I just try to stay positive."
It also doesn't hurt to add a little "umph" to the equation.
"Grunting is part of my rhythm," Larcher de Brito said.
The tournament resumes today with matches beginning at 8 a.m. Admission is free.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário